The first written note over small, rothaarige Terrier originates from 1576, from inheritance of a hunter. In the 19.Jahrhundert there were in East Anglia of dogs of this appearance, which were held in the stables of the farmers as Rattler, it should thus the stables freely from rodents, rats and mice, hold. Also to the hunt for rabbits and the fox they were used.
At approximately 1880 the regular breed began by different owners of riding stable, who estimated its qualities had learned. Around the race too „“Yorkshire Terrier and the Scottish Terrier improve were in-crossed. The forerunners of the Norfolk Terrier under different names were bred such as Trumpington Terrier or Cantab Terrier. The race of franc Jones, which began around 1900 with the breed, got their current name; he announced this race also in the USA and in England.
1932 were created in England of the Norwich Terrier club. Both stehorige and kippohrige dogs many under the names and were paired also with one another. From breeder view the ear attitude of these mating was unpleasant, neither stood it, nor they hung, as with the parents animals. The lines were bred from now on in 2 different variants, thus the Hängeohrige and the Stehohrige.
1951 noticed the English judge Leo Wilson, the Norwich on the Cruft's arranged „There is much more difference between the prick and the drop eared varieties than merely their ears and this makes judging very difficult “. to breed 1957 the request placed both Varietäten from now on separately. 1964 were carried out the separation: the Stehorige kept the name Norwich, the Hängeohrigen under the name Norfolk Terrier was led. 1979 took place de Trennung also in the USA.